Orientation Week is organised by the International Relations Office and ESN UP Olomouc and introduces students to various services and system operation at Palacký University.
It always preceeds the official beginning of classes in each semester. The Orientation Week starts with a welcome meeting, each participant will receive information materials such as a printed week programme, a map of Olomouc and all necessary documents you still need to fill in to get a student card and so on. The programme includes a sightseeing tour of the town and the town hall, Czech culture lecture (you will laugh your pants off), an information session with a police officer, a course of Survival Czech for real beginners, meetings with members of ESN UP and department coordinators, welcome parties and other afternoon events. There are also practical information sessions to instruct incoming students how academic issues at Palacký University are organized, what documents to fill out and use, who are the university coordinators and where to find them, how to get a university ID, a pass for public transportation etc. Information on a Czech as a Foreign Language course is provided as well.
What can you expect?
MORNING/DAY ACTIVITIES (by IRO):
- Welcome Meeting (Presentation of UP and its facilities)
- Welcome Reception with the Rector
- Cultural Differences (Lecture)
- Study Agenda and Practical Information I (Workshop)
- Practical Information II (Workshop)
- City Tour with ESN (Guided tour)
- Rights and Duties in the Czech Republic (Workshop by Police of the Czech Republic)
- Close Up Meeting (Workshop)
- Czech Language Introductory Course (Workshop)
The morning programme provides international students with information workshops focused on organizational and practical issues, such as an overview of UP offices and coordinators, UP facilities, registration of courses, confirmation of documents, how to arrange an ID card at UP, etc. Students can attend an introductory course of Czech language, learn about their rights and duties in the Czech Republic during a session with a police officer.
EVENING ACTIVITIES (by ESN):
- Welcome Party
- Scavenger Hunt
- Tram Party
- Czech Dinner
- Tour de Pub
- Trip to St.Hill
The evening programme is devoted to getting the students together and offering cultural, social and sporting events.
The activities may be varied or changed due to organizational reasons every semester.
The detailed programme is send to REGISTERED students few days prior to the beginning of the OW and is also given to them upon their arrival in printed version.
Why is it obligatory to attend the Orientation Week?
- You will receive a lot of practical information and instructions, which will help you during your stay.
- You will meet your coordinators, university representatives, ESN guides and other international students.
- You will learn how to register for your classes and how to make your class schedule.
- You will be assisted with administration issues as ID card application, tram pass application, etc.
- You will have time to discover the beautiful city of Olomouc and get ready for the new semester :)
If you cannot attend the OW for relevant and important reasons, please, communicate it in advance with the coordinators by email email@example.com.